Six Month Book Coaching
You’ve had this book idea for months – or years – niggling at the back of your mind. Now you’re ready to commit, and you want support.
My six-month package includes twice-monthly coaching sessions, as well as my comprehensive feedback on your work.
We use our sessions in 3 ways:
- To discuss feedback on what you’ve written, and where to go next.
- To outline and continue imagining where the book is going.
- To problem-solve a place where you’re getting stuck, either in the story itself or in your writing process.
When I read your work, here’s what I do:
- Highlight what’s working, and why. That way you can practice doing more of what works well, and doing it intentionally.
- Point out what isn’t working or what isn’t as strong, and why. I surface things I’m wondering about and things I’m curious about.
- I take your story and your characters very seriously. This mirrors the work I did with professors in graduate school: it’s Masters-level work, just more fun. (And way less expensive.)
Here’s what I don’t do: I don’t line-edit, unless I’m trying to give you a specific example of feedback.
The six-month package includes:
- A 90-minute kickoff session
- 2 1-hour coaching sessions per month
- I read up to 20,000 words (80 double-spaced pages) per month
- You get an editorial letter and in-line comments before each session
- Email support
“When I finished the first draft of my first novel and knew it needed much more work, I shopped around for a coach who would work me hard by pointing out specific things I needed to do to improve, who was widely read enough to be able to show me examples of ways fine writers worked, and who was always enthusiastic about my work without acting like I needed to be gushed over.
“I found Brooke, and I feel rewarded for my search. She is so smart, and knows the things a writer must do to develop deep characters, and to drive a story using lively dialogue, but she also seems to intuit when I need to step back from my work and look at the big plot and ask:
“Do you really need this character? Do you think this smaller arc serves your bigger arc? Are you telling the story you meant to tell? Can’t you drop this whole part and find a clearer path to your purpose?
“She always makes me feel that she has read all the pages I send her, and she sends me timely feedback that allows me to fix things while they are still fresh. I feel that she believes in me and my novel, and I will continue with her until I get this baby out there! I believe she is with me for the long haul, and I won’t be going anywhere without her.”
Fire Starter Sessions
You have an idea for a book, but don’t know where to start. You’ve started your book, but you’re already stuck. You want to write a book but you’re paralyzed by the fact that you have no idea how to write a book.
A Fire Starter Session is a high-octane, 90-minute session with me that will get you unstuck and light a fire in your brain.
You’ll come away with clarity and clear steps for moving forward.
Client Result: From Confusion to Clarity
In one recent Fire Starter session, my client started out by saying, “I don’t know what to write about” in relation to a tiny book project she wanted to do.
In 45 minutes, we chose a topic for a series of tiny books; fleshed out subtopics for each of six tiny books; chose the one she wanted to start with, and outlined the whole thing.
Your Fire Starter Session will be twice as long. What result will you create?
Client Result: From Obligation to Desire
In another Fire Starter session, a client shared that the book idea she’d been working on – a nonfiction project about her experience in corporate America – just wasn’t taking off. As we talked, I asked her: “Where is your desire? What do you DESIRE to write about?”
These words popped out of her mouth: “A historical fiction novel about the Industrial Revolution. And it would be a mystery.”
Just having this conversation allowed her to begin dreaming of something (namely, writing a novel) that she didn’t think was possible before.
Let’s move you from feeling deadened and stuck to feeling lit up + turned on.
Let’s Do This.